You heard the news when many blogged about it a couple months back. Walgreens has a NEW rewards card and points value system and it went into effect 9/16/12. Some of you have already been getting your cards and signing up for a couple weeks now. Here is the info you need to know about how to get your card and how to use it.
Getting your Card:
1. You may sign up online or in the store. I got mine in the store. If you also got your in the store please be aware that you must go online an activate your card and if you already have an online account at Walgreens, sync the two together.
2. If you get your card in the store you should also be supplied with a Balance Rewards information pamphlet. As seen here….
Also please note that an initial purchase is not required to sign up. I duped by a cashier into doing the very thing. She told me I had to buy something to sign up. I then had to ask for the information pamphlet only to read it later and find out she lied.
3. I know there is a lot of fine print on the back but it is all vital information you need to know about how to properly and effectively use your card.
How to use your card:
1. Read and re-read the FAQ page because it has tons of great information about how to properly and effectively use the new card system. Here is the big things you need to knwo up front:
a. Points WILL EXPIRE after three years of if an account has been inactive for 6 months.
b. You and up to 4 members in your household can all have separate cards and you can link the accounts all together with a phone call to WAGS.
c. You may combine reward points with coupons, register rewards and other special pricing deals but you MAY NOT earn points in the same transaction in which you use points. Therefore be advised it may be in your best interest to split transactions!
2. How to earn points:
a. You earn points every time you make a qualifying purchase using your Balance Rewards card or mobile app. If you forget any of these tracking devices, you can provide your phone number in store at the register. You will earn bonus points on a variety of items across the store each week.
b. Earn 500 points on every prescription you fill in the pharmacy. Only prescriptions picked up in-store are eligible to earn points at this time.
c. You will also earn 10 points for every mile you walk in the Walk with Walgreens program. Due to state and federal laws, points cannot be earned on some items.
Note: Points will not be awarded to anyone who currently or was at any time in the 6 months prior to purchasing a Pharmacy item covered by Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare or any other government-funded healthcare program. Pharmacy items must be purchased at participating Walgreens Drugstore, Rxpress, Duane Reade, or Walgreens Pharmacy locations (“Participating Stores”) to earn points. Excludes Pharmacy items purchased from AR, NJ or NY pharmacies and prescriptions transferred to a Participating Store located in AL, MS, OR or PR. For Terms and Conditions, visit Walgreens.com/Balance.
d. Need to know your balance? You may check it here, or you get a balance at the end of each receipt you get as seen in the pic below.
3. How to redeem points:
Here is the chart of reward point values:
Here are the big questions I have and I know most all Walgreens shoppers have and I will do my best to answer them with the knowledge I have at the time of this post.
1. At this time you can buy multiple points deals in one transaction and earn points for all.
2. If you paid part or all of the transaction with coupons and register rewards you still earn points. YES register rewards still exist and will continue to co-exist with the points system until further notice.
3. As I mentioned above you can’t earn points in the same transaction in which you paid with points therefore you may be best to split your transactions and pay for points earning transactions with register rewards and buy register reward deals with earned points for maximum savings. Know when to swipe your card and when not to!
When I get any additional informational I will add to this and post it. If you have questions about shopping anywhere, or with the new Walgreens Balance Reward system, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.